Sunday, May 25, 2008

The name game

Last week my friend and I went to a raw foods preparation class. Somewhere between the nut pate and the chocolate nut ice cream pie, we were both dreaming of bonding with our bathroom commode. The other day I went to a raw ice cream social with my meetup group and in the midst of my stomach's revenge it occurred to me that any diet can be unhealthy. Everyone automatically assumes that if you're a vegetarian, a vegan, and especially a raw vegan you must be a health nut. Well, nothing could be further from the truth.
I have known many vegetarians who eat no vegetables, unless you categorize french fries, potato chips, and ketchup as vegetables. (Just to clarify- I don't!)
Then there are the vegans, and some of them take things a step further- they don't eat dip with their chips or drink milk in their coffee, but still no veggies.
So now we move on to the real radicals- the raw vegans. Now they must have a healthy diet, right? Well, the answer may shock and surprise, as it did me. The answer is a resounding "not necessarily".
Raw simply means not cooked, and vegan means no animal products. So eating a diet loaded with heavy nut pate's, rich desserts oozing with agave and maple syrup, and dehyrated grain snacks may be both raw and vegan, but healthy it's decidedly not.
So what do you call a person who actually eats vegetables? I think we should have a name of our own. How about "vegevore"? It sounds like some kind of prehistoric animal.
And what about those of us who take it even further and juice green vegetables, blend green smoothies, and eat sprouts and salads as our primary diet? "Salajuiceatarians"? That sounds like we've graduated with some kind of honor.
All I know is that it seems to me that a vegetarian should eat vegetables. If not, they should give the name back to it's rightful owners.
Maybe they could just call themselves "nomeatarians" or "nutaholics".

3 comments:

she said...

This is so true. I've been a vegetarian since I was 16, that's 14 years of vegetarianism. Before breast cancer (at age 24) I was what was affectionately referred to as a "junk food vegetarian" a term coined by my carnivorous health food store employee college roommate who ate healthier than I did. My diet was fraught with bad carbs and bad sugar, mac and cheese, lots of chocolate. To my credit, I wasn't a vegetarian for health reasons at the time.

Eileen said...

Don't kill me but I tagged you again. I know your busy but if you have time it could be fun. If you don't do it that is fine.
Love ya and Miss ya!!!
Check out my blog for the info.

Caroline Denaro said...

I totally agree! I believe that
"vegevore" will be my new name!! I agree, I've been doing this healthy thing for a couple of weeks, here it is really late, and i was too lazy to take out my juicer, and grabbed my kids, chips!
When i tried them, it was horrible!! How could I have lived on this crap!! Salt galore!! I am sooo glad I eliminated all junk food!!! I juice, eat salad, and occasionally some meat. Sorry!!!! I am working on it!! I Love lobster & prime rib, I didn't give up for my mother's day treat. I even think maybe once a month a day for me. But, for the most part, except that one day I've been good. I guess when your life is on the line you can do just about anything! I'm sorry your cancer returned! Just remember you beat it once, and you are strong and will beat it again! Remember to believe it in your mind!! Do what you can, and when all else fails kneel. I will keep prayers. I really like your blog. I am going through similar health issues, but no one knows what it is yet. We are working on that now 2 years. Keep your chin up, if you ever need to vent I am here, usually in the middle of the night. Sincerely caroline