Monday, May 12, 2008

No skeptics allowed

I was discussing with some friends the other day why some people have such difficulty believing that alternative treatments work. It seems that even though the proof is in the pudding, they want cake instead.
In my case, I had a tumor on my liver. It showed up clear as day on an MRI and lit up like a Christmas tree on PET CT. No, I didn't have a biopsy and the reason I didn't is because my oncologist told me there was only a 5% chance that maybe it wasn't cancer. Factor in the coincidence that it just happened to disappear during the 3 months I've been using this treatment and your 5% goes down somewhere close to 0%. Yet, somehow it's easier for people to align themselves with almost zero odds in favor of believing that it was my treatment that made the thing disappear.
If I told them that chemo made my tumor disappear, they'd surely believe that. Hell, I'd bet that if I told people that the Virgin Mary appeared on my grilled cheese sandwich and the tumor disappeared, many of them would believe that. So no matter how far fetched the theory, (I mean grilled cheese? Please! I'm a raw vegan after all! ) it's still easier for people to accept. The fact that something natural could work is simply unfathomable.
This is just such a sad commentary on the state of medicine in this country. People are so brainwashed into thinking that diseases can only be cured or controlled by toxic substances, drugs, and invasive procedures. My logical mind tells me that if the disease wasn't caused by a deficiency of the drug then it can't be the answer. We must address the cause if we have a hope of preventing it from recurring. People must begin to think outside of this nice, neat box that's been constructed for them. It's up to us all to open up to new possibilities and be the change.
On a lighter note, I had a fabulous weekend exploring an organic farmer's market in Miami, spending some quality time with my older son at the beach, and going to dinner at an awesome new raw, organic, vegan restaurant called LifeFood. It's in Miami, owned and run by a great guy named John, and the food was delish! At least for me- I don't think the family is quite ready for this yet. But at least we didn't stop at McDonalds on the way home.

1 comment:

Carrie Nicole said...

I think about this every, single day now. I keep telling myself not to become obsessed or defeated because of it.

I can't help but feel frustrated by it though. The whole medical industry tied with the drug industry tied with the governmental politics feels like an insurmountable beast sometimes.

I do see that more and more natural practitioners are popping up and even though big food companies are playing the "health" and "organic" cards even though they truly aren't, does remind me that the level of conciousness is increasing, albeit slowly.

I understand why it's taking a bit of time, everything about our culture caters to impatience and immediate gratification and narcissism, etc. I do feel like slowly but surely it is changing.

It really does amaze me how everything could have gone so horribly wrong in only 100 years or so. Turning back and rediscovering what we were really meant to be doing in the first place may take another 100. I definitely am grateful for folks like yourself who share this kind of information as it educates and education is the key. I recommend The China Study and The Hundred Year Lie to every single person I know and anyone who even mentions health, food habits, disease or anything else for that matter. I wish they were required reading for all new doctors, even naturopaths, and for all kids in high school and college. Now that would start opening some eyes, no?