Sunday, June 15, 2008

Those amazing dads

Since today's father's day I want to dedicate my blog to all the dads out there, especially my own wonderful dad, Garry.
My dad is incredibly supportive and is always there when I need him. He's been by my side throughout this entire ordeal and is always amazingly positive. Although he wasn't always aligned with my decision to pursue alternative avenues, he did the research and is now solidly in my camp.
The support of family through a health crisis is key, as attitude is at least 90% of the battle. So for this in addition to putting up with me during my extremely rebellious teen years, I cannot thank my dad enough!



Yesterday I checked out another raw restaurant called Soma Cafe in Lake Worth. My friends and I had a Kale salad made with green apples, celery, and a delicious lemon based marinade, an awesome corn chowder with hints of cilantro and cayenne for a nice spicy kick, angel hair zucchini "pasta" with marinara, and for desert apples with "caramel" dip and chocolate chip "rawkies".
Everything was delicious, the service was attentive, and the owner was very appreciative of our input and constructive criticism. (The raw macaroons rated a less than favorable review and were replaced by the chocolate chip "Rawkies"). All in all, the restaurant gets our recommendation and is on the revisit list.
http://www.thesomacenter.com/nourishment.html

Lastly, I made this awesome apple flax bread yesterday. It's got a nice moist texture and tastes delicious topped with my raw almond/cashew/hemp butter. Yesterday I added some pureed raspberries. Yummy, healthy, and low on sugar.

Here's the recipe:

APPLE FLAX BREAD- thanks to Anthony (Rawmodel.com)
2 apples (I used green for less sugar)
1 cup of organic ground flax
1/8 cup of organic extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup of purified water.

Blend all in food processor
spread 1/2 inch thick on dehydrator sheet and dry for 10 hours.
Flip and dry for another 2

CASHEW ALMOND HEMP BUTTER- my own creation
1 cup soaked organic raw cashews
1 cup soaked organic raw almonds
4 tbsp organic shelled hemp seeds
organic extra virgin coconut oil as needed

Blend nuts and seeds in food processor, adding small amounts of oil as needed to obtain a creamy, buttery texture.

Unbelievably simple, delish, and healthy! Add pureed berries for a healthy take on the classic SAD food staple, peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

No comments: