Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rainy Day Recipes

I was inspired by all the rain today to stay inside and do some decluttering and culinary experimentation. I managed to clean out my bathroom closet and create some new recipes.
For breakfast I had some Raw Apple Banana Bread topped with homegrown clover sprouts and pureed strawberries. Very yummy and so easy to make.



RAW APPLE BANANA BREAD

2 apples (I use granny smith)
1 cup ground flax
1/8 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 banana
1/4 cup chopped, soaked almonds
1/4 cup water
raw agave to taste (if using red apples, this may not be necessary)
shredded coconut

Blend all ingredients except almonds and coconut in food processor or vitamix
Stir in almonds and coconut
Spread 1/2 inch thick on keflex sheet
Dehydrate for 10 hrs. at 115 degrees
Flip and dry 2 additional hours

I was recently in Whole Foods (my second home) and I was tempted by this dark chocolate bar by Vosges. It's called "Red Fire" bar and it just sounds so exotic and delicious. It's dark chocolate with Mexican chili's and cinnamon.
I didn't buy it because A)Too much sugar B)Too much green- and I don't mean the kind I juice! $8.49 for a candy bar- good grief!



So I got to thinking- hmmm...why not make a healthier raw version. It's more like a fudge than a candy bar, but still delish.


I had some left over and dipped some strawberries into it.

RED FIRE FUDGE

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup agave
seeds from one vanilla bean
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup dry coconut flakes
cayenne to taste
chili powder to taste
cinnamon to taste

Blend first 6 ingredients until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add small amounts of the last 3 ingredients until the taste is to your liking. Remember, it's always easier to add more than to adjust for too much spice.
Spread mixture on a pie plate lined with natural wax paper and freeze until set. Caliente!

For lunch I made a Thai Vegetable soup that I found on Raw Freedom Community, but messed around with the ingredients a bit to fit what I had in the house. Since it was pouring out, I didn't feel like going to the store.
I have to admit, I'm getting really good at improvising.



THAI CURRY SOUP
2 mini red bell peppers
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2 carrots
1/3 cup soaked cashews
2 radishes
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. curry paste
1/3 cup almond milk
1/2 tbsp. agave
1/8 cup vidalia onion
1/2 tsp tumeric

Blend all ingredients in VitaMix until smooth. Garnish with coconut flakes and parsley sprigs.


All in all I actually enjoyed my rainy day, but I'm still hoping for some sunshine tomorrow!

4 comments:

Elizabeth M. said...

OMG Jill...I am drooling. Yum! Can't wait to try them out...
Thanks so much :)

Carrie Nicole said...

Back from vacation!

Love this post, everyone seems to be in declutter mode these days, geez, I need to get on that because I have loads of clutter...been draggin it all around with me for years and just too busy to go through it!

That thai curry soup sounds amazing, I'm going to put that on my recipe list for this week... I love thai!

Elizabeth M. said...

Jill - Just made the Thai soup...It is Sooo good! Thank you so much!
:)

Tina said...

They Curry soap and red fudge look and sound yummy!! You go girl...can you believe we are at the point of making our "own" recipes. You are super!

Tina